Friday, September 14, 2007

Sadie's Battle

As some of you know my beagle has been battling lymphoma. She went through Chemo last year and she completed her treatments just before Christmas. It was a great Christmas present to know that she was clear of all the cancer. I did not realize that it could come back! Last month while I was loving on her I noticed her lymph nodes were enlarged again. It has been a battle with the hubby to have her go through the treatments again. His first response when he found out it was cancer again was "I'm not spending thousands more dollars on that dog!", which naturally didn't go over well with me. You see Sadie was my first baby. She sleeps with me like a teddy bear and snuggles with me on the couch. Well after hearing how upset I was he said we would try it for a month and see where we were and if she was responding this time around as the vet recommended. After a month the vet evaluated her and said she is doing great and is responding well to the treatment. I relayed this to hubby and he never responded so I thought that meant we were going to finish all the treatments. When I reminded him to take her in today, he balked and said she was done with treatments and he only agreed to one month. Not at all what I got out of the conversation, but then again he is not a great communicator at times. Now he says we can do one more month and that's it. That will only be half of the treatments. Will this do anything for her? I guess my problem is that she doesn't act like she is sick. She still gets excited and is her normal self. I just have trouble not helping her when there is something we can do for her. I understand he feels it is a lot of money to spend and the money could be spent elsewhere, but my conscious tells me that I can't just sit back and do nothing. Am I being selfish. I know she is a dog, but I still love her. How do I let go?

Am I prolonging the inevitable, probably.

1 Response:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I found you again through sitemeter!

We have had to make similar decisions with our cats. It is always hard when finances become part of the equation. I recently thought I was going to have to make that type of decision with one of my cats, but then it turned out that there was nothing we could do.

I was sad, but in a way relieved that I didn't have to make the decision. I wish I could offer advice, but you have to do what is right for you, the pet and your pocketbook.

Pet Sadie for me!

Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger